March 03, 2009

Home Sweet Home Filet Crochet Pattern

I completed, blocked, and framed my first self-designed filet crochet project, a house warming gift for my friend Suse and her husband Drew.

Home Sweet Home

I'm publishing the pattern, here on my blog, under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License, which essentially means you can sell the things you make from it, but please give me credit.

Pattern:
Materials:
  • Size 10 steel hook (1.30 mm)
  • ~250 yards size 10 crochet thread in color of choice (I used natural)


Definitions:
  • Open grid: ch 2, sk next 2 sts, dc in next st
  • Solid grid: dc in next 3 sts
  • Double-open grid (doors): ch 5, sk next 5 sts, dc in next st


First (bottom) row: Ch 122, dc in 8th ch from hook (counts as first Open grid - bottom right corner). * Ch 2, sk next 2 chs, dc in next ch. Repeat from * across. (39 open grids made)

Next (and all subsequent) row: Ch 5, turn, dc in next dc (counts as first Open grid)

Follow chart upward, working back and forth.

home_sweet_home

Edging (or use any edging you like!)
Round 1: Hdc around, by making 2 hdc in each ch-2 sp, 1 hdc in each "grid line", and 7 hdc in each corner sp.

Round 2: Ch 3, * ch 4, sl st in 3rd ch from hook to form picot, ch 1, dc in next hdc, sk next hdc, dc in next hdc. repeat from * around, with the exception of dc in same hdc on corners. Sl st to beginning ch-3 and fasten off.

Weave in ends and hand-wash in mild detergent. Pin to blocking board, stretching as necessary, until piece measures approximately 12" x 14". Allow to dry completely.

I framed it in a 14" x 18" frame on a piece of dark brown suede-like fabric.

[Edited 8/14/14] I've recently had two people ask for charts for the alphabet, so I've uploaded my spreadsheet here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwcafz3FrCBj2Os7YMmEfK_SCnv8_w5HlSwKptru72k/edit?usp=sharing

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License

Home Sweet Home

24 comments:

Debbi-a1 said...

That is amazing! You did a great job on desiging this. I wonder how that would look as an afghan for a house warming gift? hmm... don't need one now but maybe later. I like it in thread too.

Lee said...

Thanks!! Great idea on the afghan. If you do ever try it, I'd love to know how it turns out.

Roberta said...

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your pattern. I am thinking to make this as a gift for a very dear friend of mine.

Unknown said...

Thank you SO VERY much for being one of no others who has the brilliance to make the chart large enough to see.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful item. I love it so much I am going to make one for my living room so everyone who comes to my house will be able to see it.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Very easy too I am 13 and I made this in 2 days. I made it with the string it looks fantastic my mom framed it on the wall! Thank you for sharing this pattern it's amazing:)
Jamie

Chris said...

What a wonderful pattern. Your writing and chart is clear and easy to follow. I'm picturing this pattern as kitchen curtains, a great lace reminder that no matter where we roam, there's no place like home.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

love this!
I am going to make one as soon as I purchase the thread
thank you

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for such a lovely pattern. Im on my third one making. Everytime I finish one, I hang it up within days its on its way home with someone who visited me. And felt they must have it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this beautiful, easy to follow chart. This is the first project of this type I have attempted and I have had no trouble. Great pattern!

Matt and Rebecca said...

i just started doing filet and have been looking for semi-easy patterns. Thanks so much for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Love your work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your great work and contributions, looking out for more.

estherlim said...

love your work, looking forward for more simple but yet beautiful.

DanaHess1974 said...

I am trying to figure out how many ch to skip on the end of the second row before doing a DC...please help!!

Lee said...

@DanaHess1974 For the last dc at the end of a row, you can either skip 2 ch then dc in the 3rd chain, or, you can just dc into the ch-5 space. I prefer the latter as it is a bit more adjustable for a smoother edge.

Lindsey said...

HI!! I love this!! I am considering making one but adding a name to either the top or the bottom. Do you have the letters graphed out somewhere? Or can you help with that?

Great job!

Lee said...

@Lindsey Thanks! I've edited the post above to include a link to a spreadsheet containing my alphabet filet charts. Hope that helps.

vonda said...

I am looking for a pattern with names. Like a Dolly. If anyone has one or knows where I can get one I would appreciate it thanks

Unknown said...

Dear Lee Ives
this Home sweet home work is amazing.Iam interested to do such work since I haven t done it so far.
The thing is Icant understand what to do next after where it says:Follow chart upward,working back and forth.....
I mean can you ,pls , write the exact pattern
It'd be a great gift for a dear friend of mine who is leaving for her home town in 2 weeks time .
Thank you

Lee said...

@Armen, I recommend learning Filet Crochet basics first, then the pattern should make sense. There are many tutorials out there, here's a free one on Craftsy: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/05/how-to-filet-crochet/

Marion said...

My dear friend you gave a Web site to go to for your chart on the alphabet but ever time I go to print it all I get is the graph and no letters what am I going wrong

Lee said...

@marion, try clicking on the little printer icon on the webpage, just above the graph and below the words "Filet Alphabet" (don't use the print feature from your browser menus). This should give you a pop-up where you can choose some options: I selected "All Sheets", none of the checkboxes, papersize 8.5" x 11", Fit to width, and Portrait. Then click the Print button on the pop-up. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the time and effort in designing this beautiful piece. Thank you also for your kindness in sharing your pattern with others. I have started this as my first piece of filet crochet which I will keep in my home. Your pattern is clear and concise which makes it so easy for me. Elaine from Ireland.